Although the theme sets the general tone of the conference, it doesn’t preclude session topics that might be considered “off theme.” The goal of the theme is to stimulate ideas, not to prevent discussion.
Resilience and Recovery
How do we keep our systems from failing, and how do we recover from failures when they happen?
- The challenges in gaining adoption for better error handling.
- Problems with throwing exceptions. Using exceptions without throwing them.
- The functional approach (return a monad containing the result together with error information).
- Challenges using the functional approach with languages that don’t directly support it.
- Using type systems to produce more robust code.
- Guaranteeing that exception handlers are tested.
- The Erlang/Elixir approach of letting subsystems crash and restarting.
- The state of testing.
- Plus anything else anyone wants to talk about, of course.
- And our business track.
The Topics from 2019
Here are the session topics (created by attendees):
- Age/D+I in Tech
- Ansible vs Salt at Massive Scale
- Coding for Positive Social Impact
- Exception Handling from Code to Client
- Financial Independence
- Functional Programming
- Growing a Meetup Group
- Help! I’m drowning in languages!
- How do I hire better?
- How to Initiate Change?
- Change and Technical Leadership
- Introduction to Pony Language
- Job Offer Negotiation
- Lambdas or Longer (Serverless)
- Low Level Programing Tips & Tricks
- Machine Learning Framework (Image Recognition)
- Microservices: When are they Macroservices?
- Navigating from Proprietary to Open Source
- Purging CI/CD Tech Debt
- Real World Experiences in Spark
- Scaling Orgs when Self-Organizing (Intentional Culture Creation)
- Sharing Critical Data Between Services
- Staying Happy, Healthy, and Patient in Software
- Staying Motivated - What Drives You?
- University to Software Engineer Pipeline
- Up-front Design, Documentation, and Architecture
- What book helped you grow?
- What is a Code Review?
- What makes a good interview question?
- What Makes for Satisfying Soft. Eng. Career Growth?
- Where are your commits deployed?
- Women’s Experiences in Tech
- Working Remote
There were also a number of afternoon workshops.