Notes for Opening Session
Open Spaces: creating discussion
- Post-its, merging similar sessions, moving sessions around
- Please update the online board
- Law of two feet
- Law of two ears and one mouth
- Invert your participation mode
- It’s OK to try any experiment via post-it. Like Julie’s request for help on python. Even if only one person shows up you’ll have an experience. If no one shows up, you might have scheduled it against something that people really wanted to see, it doesn’t mean your idea was bad.
- Workshops (again, be creative and bold and try experiments that might meet your needs. If you need it, chances are someone else will too).
Altitude: See the “Health” page. Hyperbaric chamber, urgent care clinic at the ski area. Let someone know soon if you’re having trouble, don’t wait until it’s bad. Take Ibuprofen if you have the slightest headache, to catch it early.
Alcohol and other things.
Use Slack for everything
- You can almost always do things with other people if you want.
Code of conduct, contact persons
Coworking space, wear your badge
- No Tuesday signups until Tuesday morning, new folks have priority
- We assume it’s OK to record lightning talks for Youtube unless you say otherwise
- Potential lightning talks Thursday after progressive dinner
- Tuesday after lightning talks: form groups and decide where to meet
Yurt dinner Friday. I need to tell the caterer:
- Is there anyone not coming?
- Number of Vegetarians
- Dietary restrictions (she’s going to make most everything gluten free)
Dinner: My house is available for group dinners; I’ll often do that. The Wooden Nickel is an expensive tourist trap. I have a personal grudge against Elk Avenue Prime. Sunflower is the best place in town, followed by Django’s; I haven’t been to Soupcon in a long time (expensive) so I’m not sure if it’s still as good. The Coal Creek Grill is rumored to be very good these days (and has breakfast). The Last Steep is reliable.
Lunch: we recommend Momo’s, Teocalli Tamale for good and fast. Also the Last Steep, Ryce and Pita’s in Paradise. The Gas Cafe makes good hamburgers. Breakfast & Lunch at McGill’s is good.
Game nights: announce if a game might be offensive, law of two feet.
- Pronouns and whether photos are ok
- Group picture on Thursday during a morning session break
- Butterflies and bumblebees. If you’re thinking it’ll be over soon…
- Private feedback, public reflection
- Would you be interested in some difficult feedback?
- Explicit permission to take care of yourself. Law of two feet writ large.
- Eyes forward conference presentation is about the happy path. We talk about problems and challenges
- Badge space so people don’t worry about forgetting badges